Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thank You Avon Walkers! What a Great Day!

This past weekend I had the distinct pleasure and honor to lead the warm-up for over 3,000 participants walking 39 miles in 2 days for Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Los Angeles.

It was awesome. I'll upload some photos in the next day or two. There was a professional photographer there whom I happened to have known, he was one of my Mambo Mania students from way back. Those shots should be on the Avon site.

It was a very emotional experience for me, which caught me by surprise. I cried as I thought about my friend Toni and how precious our friendship was - how sad it was to lose her to this disease so young. But, I was inspired by the grit and enthusiasm of the participants, some were survivors, others supporters of those survivors and still others, like me, standing up for the cause because we lost a dear and loved one to the disease.

It was quite a thrill watching the sea of hips moving to Mambo Mania. As soon as we made that first swaggering hip movement, the crowd started to roar. They loved it! (Next year we need to bring our own music.) Anyway, it was wonderful and I am completely looking forward to more events like this one.

You can read the press release here.

No comments: